We purchased plastic chicken wire from Gallows Bay Hardware, a local garden shop here on island, and were ready to start this project. I have decided that my favorite power tool is the miter saw. It would be the metal chop saw except for the fact that I dislike cutting metal after cutting 230 balusters for our deck rail. If you haven't used a miter saw, you are missing out!
Reclaiming Old Wood
Our first step was to go through our stash of old wood and pressure wash all the old paint, mold and mildew off. We were able to save some cash by doing this and loved the old wood look. Below, you can see our old wood stash, the wood before pressure washing, Aaron doing the work, and the finished product. Doesn't it look brand new?!
Now that we had wood to use, we started work building the frames. According to the plans, these were supposed to be cut at 60 degree angles and form equilateral triangle frames. The top boards are actually cut at 30 degree angles so that the angle formed from both boards is 60 degrees. This took us a bit of head scratching at first to figure out :) Maybe I should revisit algebra... Here are the frames.
After the frames were built, we pressure washed a bunch of old 1x4s to use for the nesting box. We modified the coop plans and made the nesting area a bit bigger by starting the box lower to the ground. Buddy of course helped :)
After moving the coop downhill without it breaking, we began building the nesting boxes. They are about 13x13'' and 6 inches tall. We used the wood balusters from our old deck to build the boxes and they turned out nice. These were cut at an angle so that the doors will fit flush against the boxes.