It would have been much easier to chip out the tile and replace it with new tile. But, at a point their just isn't any turning back. I mean we could have just stopped and started chipping the tile out but our pride would have been hurt after spending so much time and money on it so far. The thought of throwing away all of that work just made me sick to my stomach.
The terrible part is over thankfully and now we finally get to be creative and paint. To prepare the surface (even further), we did another acid wash and primed the floor. Then, we started painting….
First idea was to use a light gray color for the grout lines and randomly paint a light yellow, light brown, and terra cotta color on the tiles. We wanted to match the Danish bricks above our archways. Good idea, but it ended up looking like a clown house. Fail #1...
The next morning, we painted the grout lines. It was much easier to paint the grout color last, but it was still pretty tough considering the floor wasn't level and the lines weren't straight. Here is the work in progress.
We have a few spots that have chipped off, but most of the paint seems to be holding up. I do have a feeling that we will have to replace the tile eventually but am hopeful that we will have a few years before the paint wears away. There were so many times when we knew we should just stop and chip the tile out. But, it is done for the time being and we are about to put the furniture back.
The pictures below are of the finished product. It did turn out pretty nice but still ranks as the worst most terrible project we have ever attempted. Never again!