After cutting the plywood to the shape of the boat, we had to plane and sand the edges to be flush and smooth. Aaron did most of this and it did not look fun. I did try for a little bit but we both agreed the planer was not one of my specialties.
After getting the shape exact, we dry fitted the new bottom with screws and made sure everything looked great.
Now we are ready to set the bottom on permanently. After removing the screws, we coated the frame with epoxy and then a layer of epoxy mixed with a filler to act as a "glue". We only had about 45 minutes of working time until the epoxy hardened, so we moved fast! I stood on the plywood while Aaron set all the screws. Then we made an extra batch of epoxy with filler to fill in all gaps and screw holes.
Once this batch hardened, we added a fiberglass tape to the seams and more epoxy. Then, we made a large batch of epoxy and coated the bottom with a really thick layer. We don't want this to happen again! After a day for all the epoxy to cure, we lightly sanded the epoxy and put on two layers of primer.
After the primer, four (yes four) coats of green paint. Oh she is starting to look like herself again :)
Next step: flip and paint the inside.