My mom and I were standing next to the door watching the rain when all of a sudden, our feet started to get wet. Looking down, we both started yelling and saying things like "Where is this coming from!?", "How do we get it out", "Why is it coming in so fast!?". My mom started frantically pushing the water out the door with a broom, but it was continually coming back in. What the heck!! Okay, Aaron is gone and I have to figure this out... Remembering the gutter problem that I just noticed a few moments before, I knew the water had to be coming in from the cistern. How? I did not know, but I did know that I had to figure out how to fix it fast before my entire floor was flooded.
I quickly remembered that we have two overflow pipes and one had a PVC cover on it (this was for water delivery 2 years ago). The cover had to come off! I went under the deck, grabbed a 2x4 and started banging on the cover while my mom hit it from above the deck. Once it came off, about 100 gallons of water instantly hit me in the face. Wham! Now I really am soaked! But the water was coming out of the cistern fast and stopped coming into our house. Thank goodness!
Luckily, we only had water on half of our floor and were able to dry it up with blankets and towels. The entire time, we were both laughing. It was so much water and we looked like a couple of crazies running around and shouting frantically. I don't think either one of us will forget this moment :)
Once we were finished with all of this excitement, I called Aaron to explain the situation and of course how we fixed the problem (Superwomen). He suggested cutting one of the down spouts just in case the rain continued and then we could install a quick release valve later. We do actually have caps to force the water to not flow into the cistern but they are at the roof level. Now that we consider that this type of problem does not occur until it is raining, this was not really a great idea since there is no way we are getting up on the roof during a torrential downpour. Lesson learned...
So, I grabbed the sawzall (a type of reciprocating saw), cut out a section in one of the pipes, and put on a cover so no water could enter from that pipe. This was actually the first time I used the sawzall, but after watching Aaron use it for years, I figured it out quickly.
With both pipes uncovered, this problem should never happen again, but now we are ready just in case it does. Here is a picture of the river that forms from rains like this below our house. It is a lot of water! Oh the joys of living near the rainforest :)